I've always been a huge proponent of all natural beauty products and recently, was fortunate enough to partner with Asheville, NC based skin care co. Mountains to Sea!
A few things you should know about Mountains to Sea right off the bat, they don't use a single preservative, chemical, or artificial fragrance and everything in their products right down to the container itself contains ingredients that are recyclable/compostable, all natural and locally sourced. The intention behind each product is to heal, hydrate and protect the skin and by so-doing restore natural beauty and reduce imperfections. Bonus, they also protect against harmful UV rays with botanical oils like red raspberry, oat and wheat germ.
I'll admit, I am a sun goddess. As a child, I spent my summers barefoot in the backyard of my parents house climbing trees or swimming in the pool. You can get away with neglecting your skin for only so long before it catches up with you, and so I've done my absolute best to really get into the habit of wearing sun block, taking care of my skin and above all of that, being conscious of what's in the products I've been putting on my skin.
Sort of like looking at the nutrition facts on the back of your food, the label on your skin care would blow your mind if you truly started paying attention. And ladies + gents, it matters!
Trust me when I say your skin will thank you! And not only that, but as someone who is prone to migraines the harsh chemical smell of most perfumes, shampoos, lotions, facial cleanser, etc, etc is just too much. The amazing thing about each of these products is that they are naturally aromatic with soothing, relaxing scents like rose, peppermint, myrtle, lemon, rosemary and more that last all day but don't overpower.
Over the past week I've tried out a couple different products and here are my favorites in order of rank:
1.) PEPPERMINT + MYRTLE SALT SCRUB (Video below shows how this scrub is made)- This little gem truly does wonders after a long day. I tucked it into my gym duffel and used it in the shower after every workout. The smell is so heavenly, I couldn't help but feel like I was at the spa instead of the locker room.
-Great exfoliant, rejuvenates and locks in moisture, leaving a soft smooth feeling in its wake.
- Smells delicious.
-Ingredients are actually read-able, meaning I knew what every single one was.
-Leaves your skin feeling hydrated and smooth.
-With all natural skin care products I have found that in general scrubs don't include an overall binding agent so they have more of a loose consistency. This generally means you have to use more than you might typically.
-For some the feeling after use may feel a little oily at first, this is because of what formulators might call "fixed" oils which in this case is the grape seed and organic coconut oils. Rub the scrub ;) onto your skin in small circles, give it a little time to absorb the moisture in your skin, rinse and then gently pat dry.
2.) ROSEMARY + VETIVER BODY LOTION - Use this directly after the peppermint and myrtle salt scrub to lock in moisture and achieve ultimate hydration. This lotion is truly the most amazing thing. Again, I have never been one to use strong smelling products and typically because of that I use unscented everything but this lotion was just the right amount of scent to leave me feeling fresh, clean and moisturized.
3.) CALENDULA + LEMON BALM LOTION STICK - Chapstick for everything but your lips (although if you're so inclined, I don't see why not) :) If you've ever suffered from ashy, dry elbows, knees or anything else trust me when I say this is the solution.
- The tiny tub is the perfect size to stash in your purse for the convenience of on-the-go usage.
- Envelopes your skin and leaves you feeling hydrated and protected.
- Again, can't beat the all-natural smell.
- Again for those unfamiliar with all natural products they do have a tendency to be a little thicker and more oily than what you might be used to. There are minerals and waxes included in this product meant to give it a longer lasting application, and that richer skin feel. My experience has been because of the depth of this product you may need to re apply every now and then.
-The packaging does make it a little tough to reduce the amount you want to use, it functions a little like a push pop and if you accidentally push up too much you're stuck with it. Just keep that in mind and only use what you need.
4.) HELICHRYSUM + ROSE AGE-DEFYING FACIAL LOTION - As part of my beauty regimen I already use a Moroccan rose water spray for my face. I have always loved the scent of rose and feel that its delicate healing properties are the perfect compliment to the delicate skin of the face. I loved this product and feel like the regenerative properties are enough to heal and hydrate dry or damaged skin but I think the salt scrub is still my favorite.
- All natural rose scent and feel.
- Smooth, silky properties that are perfect for an overnight cream to lock in moisture, heal and rejuvenate your skin overnight.
- Easy to use application container.
- Again, due to the rich cocoa butter within the product it does sit a little heavier on the skin which makes it better for an overnight cream versus for use as a base before putting on your makeup for the day.
- For application you have to take the time to really smooth in into your skin and give it the time to absorb.
- After application, in the morning I rinsed off the remaining oils and patted my face dry before applying any makeup, not necessarily a con, but maybe just a best practice.
AND that's a wrap!
Thanks so much for reading and I really hope that you give Mountains to Sea a try!